Friday, January 20, 2012

Convert-Mongering

     Lest my previous post be criticized for preaching a health wealth gospel (literally, the title is "Sick"), I'm gonna broaden my analogy. Making it fatter you might say. In many purists attempts to tear down what they call "carrot to horse" evangelism, they have forgotten that we are called to share not judgement and wrath but the good news. "for 'All flesh is like grass and all its glory like the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever.' And this word is the good news that was preached to you," 1 Peter 1:24-25 (emphasis added.) I have a great deal of respect for said purists. They have sacrificed much for the gospel. But the news, despite these men's morbid recounts of martyrdom and suffering, is truly good.

Now I do agree that witnessing is not about bargaining people into becoming Christians. Salvation does not make life a taffy pull, a free ride or a shopping spree. I can guarantee you that. The first year after I became a Christian was the hardest of my life. But it was my first joyful one. 

     Kelly Clarkson has revived her career, such as it was, with Stronger, (that still comes short of Breakaway.) She sings out in the chorus, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." There is some truth in that. Many people cling to Jeremiah 29:11 but in their minds "For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope" becomes the appealing "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the generous loving Father, plans for government protection, peace, comfort and not for anything uncomfortable, to give you a wealthy career and a cushy retirement." This is a self serving interpretation, that does not match up with Scripture. "Welfare" in other versions is translated "good" and God's idea of "good" is you becoming more Christlike.

Many point to persecution and suffering, saying "See! The Christian life is sad, hard and unhappy." Yet I would say that they should instead turn to James 1: 2-4. "Count it all joy, my brothers when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing" 
This is God's idea of good plans and delivering you from evil. Our job is not to deny the reality of the responsibilities being a Christian being, but to get a godly perspective of that reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment